Saturday, February 26, 2011

Flower Power

I've had a brilliant day out today - just what was needed after the week we've had. I've spent the day at our Guild doing a workshop with artist Jill Flower, who makes the most amazing ruffs from recycled magazines and paper, just like the one below. You can see lots more of her work on her website http://www.jillflower.com/

We were working on something a little less ambitious than ruffs, but still using the same techniques of combining paper, beads, sequins and stitch to make a "Flower Brooch". The one below was my effort...

And the following are details of some of the brooches made by others in the class...




All unique and completely different but all made in the same way. I've got another one to finish off and I'm certain this is a technique I will return to... although for now there are too many ideas and too little time. If you get a chance, I can certainly recommend a workshop with Jill, who was lovely, friendly and a great teacher. It was a pleasure to be in the role of student rather than tutor for a change.

Tomorrow, it will be brooches of a different kind as I will be at Textiles in Focus in Cottenham, teaching two workshops making these little button babes.

Hope to see some of you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment